The benefits of twice-daily breathing relaxation cannot be over-emphasised, especially where you have mental or emotional problems which are affecting your daily life. Try the following:
- Sit upright in a comfortable chair in a quiet room with all electrical appliances switched off. Light a candle if it is dark.
- With your eyes open focus your mind on your body, how it feels in the chair, and then slowly shift your awareness to your fingers, hands then arms and shoulders, let them all relax in turn.
- Be conscious of your neck relaxing then move to your toes, feet and legs so that finally the whole body is comfortable and relaxed.
- Now close your eyes and simply concentrate your whole attention on the rhythm of your breath. As you breathe in be aware of your abdomen slowly filling up, and then focus on your out breath.
- Keep this going. Especially at first all sorts of thoughts will come into your mind. Just let them go and without judgment just return your minds eye to listening to your breath.
- Do this for 20 minutes at the beginning of the day (after you wake up) and the end of the day (before you eat in the evening). It is amazing how quickly the time will pass!
- This is a very powerful self-help activity.
- If you want to develop your practice try any of the Apps that are on the market. I recommend Head Space which currently offers a 3 month trial.